MOVED: Veilside StreetDrag GTR [by MK211]

2 people favorited this.
This has been nearly 3 years in the making. I started in it late 2006 and only just in the past few weeks have finished the last leg of it and am happy to say I completed it.

It sat as a half finished wip in my folder for years. You may have indeed seen the rough unfinished copy at some stage (you can see it in my profile). I have been waiting for it to be 100% finished to finally and officially 'release it' so I hadn't posted it officially anywhere before this. I am so happy with it and couldn't be more pleased with the result how it is now.

It has been a mammoth project so let me start with some of the inspirations I used to get my ideas and help create this.

Here are the references I had to get the perspective of the kit right. These are THE original pics I based my chop on, same res and everything.
p89451imagelarge.jpg
p89458imagelarge.jpg
r34f.jpg
r34r.jpg

All the modifications I have done are brushed or overbrushed. There is only a very very minimal amount of C/P in this.
Everything including from: the bodywork, the bodykit, side mirrors, interior (overbrush based on the original base interior) with alot of modifications. Takata harnesses were overbrushed too. tyres, spoiler, bonnet vents etc etc have been brushed or overbrushed.

This is the background base image I used. When you see the final version of the chop you will see how this bg too has been overbrushed and customized entirely. I used a soft watercolor filter on the flower ground cover but if you look closely you will also see I brushed over the top of it to add more texture there too.
cherryblossome.th.jpg

The windshield sticker was overbrushed, but ALL other decals had to be created from scratch. (this single [reference image] was needed for help with the sukira flower design, this which had to be rebrushed too). I loved how Veilside does the sukira 'cherry blossom' designs on their cars, of which you'll see was inspiration to me: S15_front.jpg

Here are some further extra details about the chop:
  • The window reflections were hand created. yes the clouds reflections were BRUSHED. This was something that took me alot of attempts to get remotely looking right. The reflection of the japanese temple you see in the sidewindow was overbrushed and based from this source image -> link
  • The stone slate curb, and the flowers are all brushed. The slate was another thing that took me countless goes to get right.
  • The grille and the carbon fibre pattern was 100% custom hand created.
  • The katana, rims and the right headlight were the only true leftover C/P item, but the sword to an extent has been rebrushed too (refs), (and the tassles were fully brushed from scratch). the rims were modified (hub changed and cleaned up), and the left headlight was created because the donor was too far off perspective.
  • The badge was brushed from scratch and the orange indicators were overbrushed
  • There were over 1200+ layers.

I wanted to focus on detail, doing more detail than I had ever done in a chop before. And technical execution was important to me in this one too, I literally made sure every pixel was in the position I wanted it. And of course kit design and atmosphere was always important to me too.

I wanted to show you the close up pics first, to help you fully appreciate the final image. (click them for full)

(close up showing detail of front bar and the level of perfection I tried to achieve in execution):
closeup1.jpg

(close up showing background and how rockwall/tree/flowers had been overbrushed in detail):
closeup2j.jpg

(close up showing the numerous layer just built up in the sideskirt):
closeup3.jpg

(close up showing detail in the tree and bushes in the far bg (and the custom cf pattern) and also the window ref detail):
closeup4i.jpg

(close up of the stone slate curb)
closeup5.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

So without further ado, here are the finished products

Original:
nissangtrvspecorig.th.jpg

Veilside StreetDrag GTR Chop:
veilsidestreetdragblurm.th.jpg

Extra 'clean' version:
veilsidestreetdragclean.th.jpg

Sorry for the big post, but i had to make it extensive to do justice to the work I did in this project ;)

Thanks guys I appreciate your C+C in advance! :D

MK211
Post edited October 20, 2009 at 12:19:29 AM by MK211
wow m8 this epic you made the kit even better looking than the reference
the sword and the vinyls are great

and dammit man im voting HOF xD
merccopy.png
www.shadow-designer.webs.com , www.shadowchoper.deviantart.com
That looks insane man... i have no words..
Perfection is art.
signaturesw.jpg
oversharp :(
otherwise amazing
i know the bg aint perfect, but ffs you made it with mouse
hof, if fix the oversharp
post it to vm, and ill repeat the same
Crazy!
It´s not looking 100% real, but the brush is just awsome.
I do not like the Nissan you used as inspiration, but what you made of it is fantstic.
These carbon parts on the front, the vinyls, the spoiler, everything looks like it should.
The Japanese background fits perfectly, all the blooms give it a fantastic atmosphere and the sword also fits in great.
But there´s also one mistake: There is a shadow missing in the first version in front of the rear wheel. You have it in the second version.
With an update, that could be something you can call a perfect chop.
Definitely HoF-worthy, although parts are toony. :-d
You know you wanna click it!
Signaturbig.jpg
nordic man wrote:
oversharp :(
otherwise amazing
i know the bg aint perfect, but ffs you made it with mouse
hof, if fix the oversharp
post it to vm, and ill repeat the same

Exactly my thoughts. It is awesome, but some areas are way too sharp.
haha awesome thanks guys!

Lol @ nordic, i will see what I can do to make it a bit blurrier. Never thought I'd be sayin that! I didn't run a sharpen filter over the final this time btw. I left it as is, its that sharp cos its just the way I brushed it ;) You can tell that cos there are no jaggies
everything just looks insane, the bodykit, brush, and awesome paintjob =O

P.S. All your works are stuning ;)
parasaspng.png
:::> eimiz design <:::
stunning work !!!!!!!!!!!!
i have to agree on the sharp look , you said you used a sharpen filter at the end ??
why ?? most of the times that stuff ruins good work ..
but still thats the only thing i think could have been better , it looks epic , and spot on awsome stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =O =O :-d
hof would certainly be right :P
Post edited October 20, 2009 at 12:04:00 AM by rich
mijnlogo.jpg
Just....amazing!! Deffo HOF material!

Please login to post